What Makes Our Training Unique?
MHP Salud is a certified provider of Health Insurance Marketplace Navigation services in Texas and we train and oversee Community Health Workers as Insurance Navigators through our Insurance Navigation program.
Our training experts include Community Health Workers who work as insurance navigators as well as program managers who have firsthand experience with how insurance navigation programs operate and the skills required to effectively support your community as an insurance navigator.
Who Is This Training Designed For?
The Health Insurance Marketplace Navigator Supplemental Skills training module provides training on key competencies for Health Insurance Navigators as well as Certified Application Counselors with a focus on improving service delivery and building soft skills for staff members who are already certified as insurance navigators through a state or CMS-approved Navigator course.
An MHP Salud training expert will request information about your Community Health Worker program and conduct a pre-training meeting to personalize the training to match your organization’s needs and specific program.
What Is Included?
The Health Insurance Marketplace Navigator Supplemental Skills training includes a comprehensive training for Insurance Navigators AND a key skills Supervisor training for insurance navigator program managers.
The training package will focus on the following training topics and outcomes:
Insurance Navigator Training Component
- In-depth discussion of cultural competence and necessary skills for assisting clients from a range of backgrounds
- Detailed review of skills and approaches to provide culturally sensitive and culturally appropriate support and services
- Overview of communication techniques and how to determine the appropriate strategy for each audience
- Development of skills for customer service and strategies for interacting with a range of clients
- Discussion of real-life communication issues that can arise and how these issues were resolved
Confidentiality & Ethical Responsibility
- Discussion of ethical responsibility using real-life examples
- Detailed review of confidentiality rules (specific to your organization) and strategies for protecting client privacy
- Activities to reinforce and build on knowledge developed during the CMS Insurance Navigator training and build confidence in applying this information on the job
- Health literacy activities to help Community Health Workers develop strategies for sharing health system information to all types of clients
Supervisor Training Component
- Overview of essential components of and strategies for effective supervision
- Recommendations on team meetings, staff check-ins, on-going training and other components of effective supervision of Insurance Navigator staff
Scope of Work for Navigators
- Introduction to developing and reviewing Insurance Navigator job descriptions and determining the appropriate scope of work
- Discussion of service coordination and referrals and recommendations for supporting clients who require assistance beyond the scope of the insurance navigation program
Troubleshooting Navigator Programs
- Discussion of real world examples of potential problems in Navigator programs and strategies for addressing a range of concerns
- Introduction to developing program goals and objectives
- Overview of strategies for data collection and relevant metrics to measure
- Introduction to program evaluation tools and evaluation reports
Make The Training Work For You
In our more than 30 years of experience in training Community Health Workers and developing Community Health Worker programs, we have found that in-person, engaging, and highly interactive training sessions are a key to success in preparing Community Health Workers to work effectively in a range of programs. As a result, this training package is only available as an on-site training.
4 hours (Virtual)
16 hours for Insurance Navigators plus 4 hours for Supervisors (On-site)
On-Call Post-Training Support
10 hours (Virtual)
*Includes travel costs for any training location within the continental US
|Pre-Training Meetings||4 hours (Virtual)|
|Training||16 hours for Insurance Navigators plus 4 hours for Supervisors (On-site)|
|On-Call Post-Training Support||10 hours (Virtual)|
|*Includes travel costs for any training location within the continental US|
To support supervisors in insurance navigation and enrollment programs, our Training & Supporting Certified Application Counselors Toolkit provides recommendations, strategies, tools and activities to support CAC supervision and reinforce material covered in the required CMS training.
For Community Health Workers and Insurance Navigators, we also have a Quick Guide to Understanding Health Insurance in Spanish as a resource to the information they provide to patients and clients.