Who Is This Training Designed For?
The Maternal & Child Health training module provides comprehensive support to new or experienced Community Health Workers in a maternal or child health-related program. This training package is modeled after training programs for our Breastfeeding and Doula support through our Instinto Maternal program with Community Health Workers, but can be personalized to be relevant for a range of Community Health Worker programs on maternal or child health topics.
An MHP Salud training expert will request information about your Community Health Worker program and conduct a pre-training meeting to personalize the training to match your organization’s needs and specific program.
What Is Included?
The Maternal & Child Health training includes a comprehensive training for Community Health Workers working in an maternal or child health program or a program that involves an maternal or child health component AND a key skills Supervisor training for supervisors of maternal and child health program staff.
The training package focuses on the following training topics and outcomes:
Community Health Worker Training Component
- Discussion of how to identify community resources and strategies for developing a community resources list
- Review of key female health topics including recommended annual exams and cancer screenings, and common women’s health problems
- Overview of communication techniques and ways to build trust and engage participants
- Comprehensive overview of recommended prenatal and postpartum appointments and medical evaluations, stages of pregnancy, what to expect during pregnancy, labor and the postpartum period, and breastfeeding and lactation
- Review of key child health areas including children’s development process, recommended checkup schedule, and common conditions affecting children
- Cultural competency training on the target population being served
- In-depth review of service coordination and how to help clients access additional support services
- Comprehensive review of program responsibilities and scope of work (personalized to your organization)
- Introduction to data collection and program evaluation with a focus on understanding the importance of program evaluation
Supervisor Training Component
- Overview of essential components of and strategies for effective supervision
- Recommendations on team meetings, staff check-ins, on-going training and other components of effective supervision
- Introduction to developing and reviewing job descriptions and determining appropriate scope of work
- Discussion of real world examples of potential problems in maternal and child health programs and strategies for addressing a range of concerns
- Introduction to developing program goals and objectives
- Overview of strategies for data collection and relevant metrics to measure
Make The Training Work For You
In our more than 30 years of experience in training Community Health Workers and developing Community Health Worker programs, we have found that in-person, engaging, and highly interactive training sessions are a key to success in preparing Community Health Workers to work effectively in a range of programs. As a result, this training package is only available as an on-site training.
4 hours (Virtual)
16 hours for Community Health Workers plus 4 hours for Supervisors (On-site)
On-Call Post-Training Support
10 hours (Virtual)
*Includes travel costs for any training location within the continental US
|Pre-Training Meetings||4 hours (Virtual)|
|Training||16 hours for Community Health Workers plus 4 hours for Supervisors (On-site)|
|On-Call Post-Training Support||10 hours (Virtual)|
|*Includes travel costs for any training location within the continental US|
We offer several materials to support Community Health Workers including a Fact or Myth Breastfeeding Card Game for maternal and child health programs.
We also offer a Promotor(a) de Salud Resource Guide available for purchase. The manual provides an overview of basic health issues with a focus on prevention, early detection and referrals to additional support.