Community Health Workers are helping to conduct a Needs Assessment of Starr County, Texas in order to evaluate current community health strengths and weaknesses. This will allow the Star County Health Network to develop a strategic plan to engage community partners and match existing resources with key issues identified.
What we do
This Rural Health Network Development Planning Grant Program has two primary components: a needs assessment for Starr County and the development of a formal Starr County Health Network.
How our approach works
Our use of Community Health Workers allows us to gather information from hard to reach segments of the population that may go unnoticed by standard information gathering methods, such as the U.S. Census.
Community involvement in identifying key issues also ensures that information collected is relevant to community needs and can support future programs which can benefit all residents.
- Develop a Starr County Health Network to identify gaps in knowledge and key issues to be examined;
- Conducts a Community Health Needs Assessment to uncover health disparities, barriers to improvement, and community wants and needs; and
- Through the Starr County Health Network, develop a strategic plan for addressing health issues, including the improved use of existing resources and the active pursuit of new resources and funding.
Who we serve
The Starr County Health Network will serve all residents of Starr County. This population is truly unique, with 98.5 percent of residents identifying as Hispanic and 95.6 percent speaking a language other than English in the home. Only 45.3% having a high school education or higher, and 40.1% fall below the federal poverty line. The full county is designated as a Medically Underserved Area and a Health Professional Shortage Area, speaking to the lack of available healthcare services.
Where we serve
Promotores(as) and partner staff will be working across Starr County, including Rio Grande City and Roma, as well as the populations living in nearby colonias.
- Starr County Memorial Hospital
- Nuestra Clinica del Valle
- The Pediatric Care Center
- Rio Grande City Public Library