5 Ways to Make the Most of Your Health Coverage
In the United States, an estimated 12.7 million people signed up for coverage in the 2016 Open Enrollment, allowing them to gain or renew access to the health
coverage they need. Enrolling in a health plan, however, is only the initial step. To help you go from coverage to care, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services has created resources in multiple languages, available at no cost, to help you understand your benefits and connect to a primary care provider and preventive services. Here are five ways to make the most of your health coverage:
- Confirm your coverage: Be sure your enrollment is complete. Contact your health plan and/or state Medicaid office. Pay your premium if you have one, so you can use your health coverage when you need it.
- Know where to go for answers: Contact your health plan to see what services are covered, and what your costs will be. Read the Road map to Better Care and a Healthier
You to learn about key health insurance terms, like coinsurance and deductible.
- Find a provider: Select a health care provider in your network who will work with you to get your recommended health screenings. Remember you might pay more if you see a provider who is out-of-network.
- Make an appointment: Confirm your provider accepts your coverage. Talk to your provider about preventive services. Ask questions about your concerns and what you can do to stay healthy.
- Fill your prescriptions: Some drugs cost more than others. Ask in advance how much your prescription costs and if there is a more affordable option. Share these tips with your family and friends so they too can make the most of their health coverage and live a long healthy life.
Also, check out the Roadmap to Better Care and a Healthier You for a step-by-step guide on how to use your coverage and more detailed health insurance information. For more information about From Coverage to Care, visit http://go.cms.gov/c2c.
About MHP Salud
MHP Salud has over thirty years of experience implementing CHW programs and training organizations looking to start and/or strengthen their own CHW programs. For more information about MHP Salud, our services, and how we can help you, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org