Who Is This Training Designed For?
The Mental Health Education Training module designed for new and experienced Community Health Workers who will be working in a mental health-related program. Prior experience as a Community Health Worker isn’t required to participate in this training.
An MHP Salud training expert will request information about your Community Health Worker program and conduct a pre-training meeting to personalize the training to match your organization’s needs and specific program.
What Is Included?
The Mental Health Education Training includes a comprehensive training for Community Health Workers in a mental health education program or in program that involves a mental health component AND a key skills Supervisor training for supervisors of mental health education program staff.
The training package focuses on the following training topics and outcomes:
Community Health Worker Training Component
- Discussion of how to identify community resources and strategies for developing a community resources list
- Comprehensive review of common mental health illnesses, forms of substance abuse and addictions
- Cultural competency training on both the target population being served and best practices for supporting individuals with mental illness
- Review of confidentiality and ethical responsibility for mental health programs
- In-depth review of critical situations and strategies for identifying and addressing a critical situation
- In-depth review of teaching and popular education strategies
- Overview of communication techniques and ways to build trust and engage community members
- Complete review of program responsibilities and scope of work (personalized to your organization)
- In-depth review of the client referral process and follow up
- Introduction to data collection and program evaluation with a focus on understanding the importance of program evaluation
Supervisor Training Component
- Overview of essential components of and strategies for effective supervision
- Recommendations on team meetings, staff check-ins, on-going training and other components of effective supervision of mental health education staff
- Introduction to developing and reviewing job descriptions and determining the appropriate scope of work
- Discussion of real world examples of potential problems in mental health education programs and strategies for addressing a range of concerns
- Introduction to developing program goals and objectives
- Overview of strategies for data collection and relevant metrics to measure
- Introduction to program evaluation tools and evaluation reports
Make The Training Work For You
In our more than 30 years of experience in training Community Health Workers and developing Community Health Worker programs, we have found that in-person, engaging, and highly interactive training sessions are a key to success in preparing Community Health Workers to work effectively in a range of programs. As a result, this training package is only available as on on-site training.
Included Support:, ,
Pre-Training Meetings,4 hours (Virtual),
Training,16 hours for Community Health Workers plus 4 hours for Supervisors (On-site),
On-Call Post-Training Support,10 hours (Virtual),
Package Costs:, ,
*Includes travel costs for any training location within the continental US,[/table]
To support the implementation of mental health education programs, we offer a Salud Para Todos Program Manual for purchase. The manual provides Community Health Workers and their supervisors with an overview of mental health issues and coping mechanisms, as well as how to utilize resources to support clients and program participants in accessing available services to meet their needs.