Who Is This Training Designed For?
Our Peer-led Support Group training module provides comprehensive support to Community Health Workers who will be working in programs with a Support Group Facilitation component. This training program is modeled after the training programs used for our Community Health Worker Domestic Violence Support Group and Sexual Assault Education & Support programs. Prior experience as a Community Health Worker is not required for participation in this training.
An MHP Salud training expert will request information about your Community Health Worker program and conduct a pre-training meeting to personalize the training to match your organization’s needs and specific program.
What Is Included?
The Peer-led Support Group training includes a comprehensive training for Community Health Workers in a support group program or in a program that involves a support group facilitation component AND a key skills Supervisor training for supervisors of the support group staff.
The training package focuses on the following training topics and outcomes:
Community Health Worker Training Component
- Comprehensive review of program responsibilities and scope of work (personalized to your organization)
- Discussion of how to identify community resources and strategies for developing a community resources list
- Strategies for helping participants build self-esteem, develop healthy relationships, and discuss personal safety
- Overview of communication techniques and ways to build trust and engage participants
- Discussion of strategies for recognizing and managing stress and anger
- Overview of cultural competency strategies and approaches focused on the populations that the program will be serving
- In-depth review of strategies for facilitating support groups
- Introduction to data collection and program evaluation with a focus on understanding the importance of program evaluation
Supervisor Training Component
- Overview of essential components of and strategies for effective supervision
- Recommendations on team meetings, staff check-ins, on-going training and other components of effective supervision of support group staff
- Introduction to developing and reviewing job descriptions and determining appropriate scope of work
- Discussion of real world examples of potential problems in support group programs and strategies for addressing a range of concerns
- Introduction to developing program goals and objectives
- Overview of strategies for data collection and relevant metrics to measure
- Introduction to program evaluation tools and evaluation reports
Make The Training Work For You
In our more than 30 years of experience in training Community Health Workers and developing Community Health Worker programs, we have found that in-person, engaging, and highly interactive training sessions are a key to success in preparing Community Health Workers to work effectively in a range of programs. As a result, this training package is only available as an on-site training.
Included Support:, ,
Pre-Training Meetings,4 hours (Virtual),
Training,16 hours for Community Health Workers plus 4 hours for Supervisors (On-site),
On-Call Post-Training Support,10 hours (Virtual),
Package Costs:, ,
*Includes travel costs for any training location within the continental US,[/table]
Additionally, to support the implementation of peer-led support groups programs, we offer a Salud Para Todos Program Manual for purchase. The manual provides Community Health Workers and their supervisors with an overview of mental health issues and coping mechanisms, as well as recommendations on how to utilize resources to support clients and program participants in accessing available services to meet their needs.